Welcome to Constipation Remedies!
Log in to check your messages.
Constipation remedies at:
Ulcerative colitis - Inflammatory bowel disease
Ulcerative colitis - Inflammatory bowel disease
< Inflammatory bowel disease Ulcerative colitis Crohn's disease >
When noting ulcerative colitis, always remember that is continuous – or otherwise, “a disease of continuity”. Ulcerative colitis starts from the rectum extending proximally, a fashion described as “retrograde”. Colonic involvement can result to easy bleeding and friability, and depending on severity, ulcerations can occur along the entire length of the colon. In response to the tissue damage, regenerating tissues gradually form pseudopolyps, and may perhaps contribute again to obstruction and hence constipation.
Ulcerative colitis should not be taken lightly, such that it can lead to neural damage and may even cause the colon to excessively swell and become gangrenous (condition otherwise called the megacolon). Any damage to the neural plexus will result to neural shutdown, and hence, inability of the muscles in the rectum to pass out feces through contractions. It can also predispose greatly to colon cancer – its most feared complication - due to the changes in the epithelium of the colonic mucosa eventually resulting to dysplasia (defined as the abnormality in the development of cells in terms of shape and organization).
The common presentation of the disease is via frequent attacks of bloody diarrhea that often persists for days to months, then recurrence after an interval of months to years. Patients are considered fortunate if the first attack is the last attack. This is because an attack brings with it a lot of consequences that are life-threatening, such as causing serious bleeding as well as imbalances in fluids and electrolytes. Among the first manifestations of the disease is abdominal pain with cramping, accompanied by bloody diarrhea with marked stringy mucus. This is usually relieved through defecation. But as the disease progresses, constipation appears due to disruption of the normal peristaltic movements. Usually attacks are precipitated by severe stressful conditions.
Canada has one of the highest rates of ulcerative colitis in the world. A new breakthrough treatment has just been approved by Health Canada.
The prevalence of ulcerative colitis among males and females is 1:1, and it is reported that cigarette smoking results to a greater risk for ulcerative colitis rather than Crohn's disease.
Comparisons of various factors in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
|Crohn's disease||Ulcerative colitis|
|Terminal ileum involvement||Commonly||Seldom|
|Involvement around the anus||Common||Seldom|
|Bile duct involvement||No increase in rate of primary sclerosing cholangitis||Higher rate|
|Distribution of Disease||Patchy areas of inflammation (Skip lesions)||Continuous area of inflammation|
|Endoscopy||Deep geographic and serpiginous (snake-like) ulcers||Continuous ulcer|
|Depth of inflammation||May be transmural, deep into tissues||Shallow, mucosal|
|Autoimmune disease||Widely regarded as an autoimmune disease||No consensus|
|Cytokine response||Associated with Th17 ||Vaguely associated with Th2|
|Granulomas on biopsy||May have non-necrotizing non-peri-intestinal crypt granulomas||Non-peri-intestinal crypt granulomas not seen|
|Surgical cure||Often returns following removal of affected part||Usually cured by removal of colon|
|Smoking||Higher risk for smokers||Lower risk for smokers|
Remedies Just Along the Corner:
Do It Yourself Constipation Remedies at Home
There are simple solutions for constipation that come straight from the kitchen. All you need to do is fix it up, and sooner or later, you will start letting go of all that ugly stuff that might be residing in your intestines for quite some time! Why not try these out?
• The Abdomen Massage
• Shivering, dithering, splendid!
• The Vinegar Magic
• Laver Soup Remedy
• Porridge to the Rescue
• Water Flush
• Not Too Old for Milk
• Sleep Right, Flush Right
• Right Food to Sweep the Goo Away
• Get Your Entire Body Moving
...more home remedies
Right Food to Sweep the Goo Away
A healthy bowel movement is the result of a healthy lifestyle. If we feed ourselves with garbage, our system can become too stuck up it will result to malfunction. Here are some important tips on food to avoid constipation and at the same time relieve it.
- If life gives you lemons... squeeze the lemons and pour the juice into warm water! Refrain from putting salt or sugar. Just bear with the taste. It will surely help your bowels move faster.
- While cooking, try your best to be creative and add cumin powder and asafetida. Some ingredients to add to your grocery list can be coriander and turmeric powder. These will help your foods become readily digestible.
- Let go of what makes you stop! Therefore, say goodbye to junkfood, fastfood, readily processed foods, and everything else artificial. You might also need to say goodbye to deep frying, preserved and dried fruits and vegetables, cauliflowers, cabbages, as well as dal and some other pulses. Not unless if you want gases and toxins building up in your body! Ditch products made from processed white flour. Avoid foods such as white rice, cheese, potatoes, and sugar, because these contain complex carbohydrates. The more starch, the harder to digest. So, simply stay out of it. You can do it! You have to, if you want a healthier body.
- Do not just mix your food. It might be necessary to eat one family at a time. To be specific, do not try eating cereals, vegetables, and pulses all at one sitting. You have three meals a day to spread them out on!